Nov 21, 2012

Ciambellone with apples

...or ring cake. Soft, delicate, little sweet, I mean - comfort food. For Hania, for me, for Julian.
Hania is swallowing a big piece now, just got back from school. Happy, she is. So am I. I had mine a minute ago.

It's not full of apples. In fact, the chef on TV said that this is not an apple cake. It's a Ciambellone. OK!


It took 5 minutes to make it. So they said and were right. As long as someone peals, cores and cuts three apples for you.


On the video, there were arranging apple pieces length wise one next to the other on the batter in the form. My apples were small, so I was putting the pieces vertically. This way I could put more.


I don't remember when I used my ring baking form last time. I kind of had a feeling mine 7 inch/18 cm was too small for this recipe. The batter spilled out in my oven a bit, about 4 tablespoons. But the cake rose up high above the rim and that was impressive.


Recipe adapted from La Prova del Cuoco


ingredients

3 eggs
220 g (1 cup and 2 tablespoons) sugar
130 g (2/3 cup) oil (corn, canola)
130 ml (a little less than 2/3 cup) water
1 lemon (juice and the zest)
pinch of salt
250 g (1 2/3 cups) flour + extra for dusting the form
2 teaspoons (8 g) baking powder
3 apples
sugar and cinnamon for the finish (optional)
butter for greasing the baking form

directions

Preheat the oven to 180 C/355 F. Butter a 7 inch/18 cm round form. Dust it with flour.

Peal, core, and cut apples in thin half-moon shapes, spray it with lemon juice.


In a small bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.


In a bowl, using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs with sugar till white, about 3 minutes. Add the lemon zest, oil, water. Mix it together. Add the flour mix. Combine it well.


Pour the batter into the prepared ring form. Stick the apple pieces in the batter. Finish it with some sugar and cinnamon.


Place it in the hot oven for 1 hour. Do the tooth pick test, if it comes out clean, it's ready. Mine did. The baking time depends on the size of the baking form too.


Ready!


No comments:

Post a Comment