Oct 7, 2014

Oatmeal cocoa cake (vegan)


It's a cake! No butter, no eggs, not real flour.  I'm not turning vegan or anything but I was out of butter and desperate for a chocolate cake. I didn't find anything in this blog so I quickly hopped over to The Veggie Sisters and got what I needed. And by the way... no mixer, no scale either. Thanks, Girls!



Oatmeal cocoa cake
adapted from The Veggie Sisters
time: 5 min preparation / 45 min baking / 30 min cooling

ingredients
2 cups (480 ml) oatmeal flour (blended not-instant oat flakes)
3/4 cup (180 ml) cocoa powder
3/4 cup (180 ml) sugar
2 teaspoons (8 g) baking powder
1 3/4 cups (420 ml) almond milk (room temperature)
1/2 cup (120 ml) canola oil

method
Preheat oven to 200C/400F (fan forced function). Line a standard 28cm/11cm loaf form with parchment paper. To line a form: I cut a piece of paper larger than the form, crush it between my hands, soak it under water, squeeze the water out, shake (gently) the paper to open and line the form.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and sugar. Incorporate milk and oil without over mixing. Pour the batter into the prepare form. 

Bake for 45 - 50 minutes till the toothpick from the middle comes out clean (not necessarily dry). Remove from the oven, let it sit in the form for 30 minutes to cool and set.

notes
  • The Veggie Sisters (Lenia and Manousina) are two fantastic ladies from Greece that combine beautifully vegetarian/vegan cooking with Greek tradition and flavor;
  • the original recipe had additional chocolate and strawberry pieces incorporated into the batter...not bad;
  • I skipped the extra chocolate because I thought the whole thing would be too dark for Hania (my daughter);
  • the cake has a consistency of a brownie; it's moister in the middle than on the outside;
  • not too sweet...on the border of not sweet enough but plenty satisfying and enjoyable, for the little one as well.

13 comments:

  1. Dear Elzbieta, The Veggie Sisters have some wonderful recipes.
    I love chocolate too and sometimes simply crave it for dessert. This sounds wonderful.
    I hope all is well. Blessings dear. Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cake looks extremely tempting and ever so moist!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that this cake is Vegan it looks so tempting and I bet it tastes spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks soooo good! I love the idea of oatmeal and chocolate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how dark and moist the cake looks! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! What an easy recipe and so chocolately. I need to try this and other recipes from The Veggie Sisters soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Again great use of oats and looks super easy and delicious! Wish someone would come up with a calorie free cake! I dare you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks so moist and delicious, Ela! What a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm what a simple but tasty looking cake! I would love a piece with the cup of tea I'm about to make!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great, quick cake! It looks rich and delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love these photos and you are making me have a chocolate craving. I bet it is tasty! Your photos perspectives are amazing. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Ela, I am so glad you liked our cake! I had not realised that you had posted it!
    Thank you so much for your kind words!
    Many kisses from two greek vegetarian sisters!

    ReplyDelete