Feb 10, 2014

Giada's incredible cookies. Version 3.


We had a little housewarming party, celebrating the finishing of a very messy project (taking down a wall, a brick wall). It gave me the needed push to clean up the overdue mess, laugh to tears with my friends and ... make more cookies. This time, a full version, with more milk chocolate, less sugar and some spelt flour.

Recipe based on Chocolate chunk cookies with almonds (Giada's incredible cookies. Version 1)
time: 30 min preparation + 3x13 min baking + 15 min cooling 


 ingredients 
1/2 cup (55 g) oats (not instant)
2 1/4 cups (340 g) regular flour OR, what I used: 1 cup (120 g) whole spelt flour and 1 1/4 (190 g) cup regular flour  
1 teaspoon (4 g) baking powder
1 teaspoon (8 g) baking soda
1/2 teaspoon (4 g) salt
2 sticks (240 g) butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cup (330 g) light brown sugar
2 medium eggs
1 vanilla bean, split open, seeds removed
1 cup (140 g) whole hazelnuts 
7 oz (200 g) milk chocolate
5 oz (140 g) dark chocolate


 instructions 
Preheat oven to 180C/350F (fan forced function). Line four baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a food processor with steal blades, blend oats till fine. Transfer it to a medium bowl and mix it together with flour, baking powder, soda and salt. 

Prepare hazelnuts: On a medium skillet set on medium/high, toast nuts for 5 minutes, stirring often. Rub cooled nuts between your hands to remove the thin skin. Chop them in a food processor with steal blades or with a big knife. Chop chocolates the same way.  

In a bowl of a standing mixer equipped with a paddle attachment, beat butter, sugar and vanilla seeds till fluffy, about 5 minutes. Mix in eggs (one and then the other), scraping sides and bottom of the mixing bowl with a rubber spatula when necessary. Add the flour mix. Combine it together without over-mixing. Stir in chocolate and hazelnut pieces

Using an ice cream scoop or two tablespoons (and some water to dip your tools in), make golf-size balls and arrange on the sheets, loosely spaced, 9 balls on each. Do not flatten. 
Place one baking sheet at the time in the hot oven for about 13 minutes, till cookies just starting to slightly brown around the edges (or one edge).

Take the sheet out of the oven, let cookies cool on the sheets for 5 minutes and then lift and transfer (using a flat, skinny tool) to a cooling rack for further cooling.

NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES 
  • cookies were a great party idea...I had as many kids as adults over;
  • no cutting, asking, serving, no cleaning plates;
  • and everybody had a couple cookies to take home and I had one to complete my breakfast the next day.

16 comments:

  1. I love that you have both milk and dark chocolate in these! I also really need to use hazelnuts more often - they are so good but I never remember to buy any!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the assortment of chocolate and the hazelnuts in these cookies! Look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh Elzbieta I love these! I have spelt flour in the pantry...I'm going to have to try these! Your cookies look fabulous and your blog is beautiful! Thank you for stopping by and commenting on my Nutella Cupcakes.

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are fans of chocolate cookies. I like those made with my favourite grain and a mix of milk and dark chocolates.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't go wrong with more chocolate, can you? These look just perfect. A great way to celebrate hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, these definitely look incredible, Ela! I love a big delicious cookie :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharing these delicious chocolate cookies with friends is a great idea! After a hard work these cookies are the best reward!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look fantastic Ela, perfect for a party and breakfast :) They sound wonderful with the oats and hazelnuts and jumbo sized cookies are always my favorite :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These looks so chunky and chewy - yummmm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These sound delicious! The whole hazelnuts and dark chocolate seem like the best part to add! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look amazing - the texture looks crisp and chewy. I've made milk choc hazelnut cookies before and I'm a huge fan. I love how this has vanilla beans and oats and all that good stuff! Really looks like such a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like mixing things up with a bit of spelt flour. Makes things more interesting and such lovely cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't find hazelnuts here except in the shell. I love the taste of them and wish that I could find them unshelled. Your cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I do love me some cookies! These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the two chocolates and hazelnut combination going on, these look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Did you know that I adore cookies!

    ReplyDelete