Feb 3, 2014

Roasted parsley root salad with rucola


My oven is hard at work this Winter...and not exactly just baking cookies.


Recipe adapted from Gray Apron
time: 55 min roasting parsley roots + 10 min preparation

 ingredients 
2 lbs (1 kg) or less parsley roots (or parsnips) peeled and cut in little-finger size sticks 
1/4 cup (60 ml) balsamic vinegar
1 Tablespoon (15 ml) liquid honey
1/3 cup (80 ml) olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 lb (125 g) rucola
1 medium size apple, rather sweet, sliced thinly and sprayed with lemon juice
1 - 2 slices prosciutto crudo, chopped
hand full of dried cranberries or cherries
hand full of Parmesan


 instructions 
Preheat oven to 220C/430F. Line a baking sheet with one piece of aluminum foil. 

In a medium bowl, mix vinegar with honey. Whisk in oil. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
Dip parsley pieces in the dressing and then transfer them onto the baking sheet. You'll need the unused dressing later. Place another piece of aluminum foil on top of roots and carefully seal the edges of both foils to close the roots in. Place the sheet in the hot oven for 30 minutes till vegetables are tender to the fork.

Remove top foil and bake for another 25 minutes, stirring them once half way through baking.

Remove caramelized roots from the oven and let them cool a bit. Place them on a platter. Arrange rucola, apples slices, cranberries and drizzle with the dressing. Top it with Parmesan and prosciutto pieces.


NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES 
  • that's a lot of parsley root...but I used what I had and made a big salad;
  • so... it wasn't a exactly a side dish; my salads usually aren't;
  • the root from the oven comes out fantastic; the sharp flavor is baked away;
  • balsamic vinegar adds to the richness of the taste;
  • the root is delicate and mushy in the middle (core) and a little tough and chewy on the outside;
  • apple brings out the sweetness in the dish and gives a fresh bite;
  • a very pleasant, well balanced salad.

20 comments:

  1. hhhmmm, a very refreshing, delicious and tasty salad, good to try it any time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That salad looks incredibly good! I have never had parsley root, but I'm sure this vegetables tastes wonderful.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  3. what lovely and delicious salad Ela!!xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really nice use of parsnips (I am not familiar with the other name lol), not one we see a lot of blogs. Great salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Technically, parsnip and parsley root are two different vegetables. But so similar, the name is used interchangeably...probably, depending on where you live. I know, I know...TMI...and I haven't even had my coffee yet. :)

      Delete
  5. This salad is so pretty! Love the combo of the apples with the dried cranberries and the parm! Sounds delicious! I rarely use parsnips - which is something I should really change...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man, I love absolutely every ingredient in this salad! I need to pick up some arugula and beets so I can make the beet version :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like the bright colours! Sounds like such a refreshing salad!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2/04/2014

    What a beautiful salad!
    :-) Mandy xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. My kind of salad, Ela. Just make some soup with parsley roots and carrots for the lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fantastic salad!Amazing pics,dear Ela!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beautiful salad! Love the combination flavors and textures!

    ReplyDelete
  12. we have yet to make anything from root veggies or greens....this is very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a big fan of balsamic on just about everything, I love it! I pretty much live on salad all summer, it's delicious and light. Your recipe sounds like a great combination of ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yummy, perfect for our scorching summer! Light, fresh and tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmh, that's my kind of salad.
    Fantastic combination of flavors and textures Ela.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see we are both in the salad mood! Delicious and I love the addition of honey!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love roasted parsnips; salad looks irresistible - perfect meal for hot days (like it is now in my town).

    ReplyDelete
  18. This salad look so refreshing and tasty! I love arugula and it sounds wonderful with the parsnips and apples :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a beautiful salad! I adore greens with lots of fresh toppings and flavors. Parsnips and apples pair so well - what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete