May 26, 2014

Rhubarb, strawberry and nectarine crisp under vanilla ice cream


I'm so glad someone invented crisp ... and so glad someone put it with ice cream.









Rhubarb, strawberry and nectarine crisp under vanilla ice cream  
adapted from Ina Garten
time: 15 min preparation + 1 hr baking

 ingredients 
fruit
5 cups fresh rhubarb (about 5 stalks), diced
2 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and halved if big
3 small nectarines, pitted and randomly cut
1 medium orange, zest and juice
1 Tablespoon (8 g) corn or potato starch
1/4 cups (50 g) sugar, quantity divided

topping
1 cup (240 ml) flour
1 cup oatmeal, not instant

1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
1/2 cup (110 g)  brown sugar
1 1/2 stick (180 g) cold butter, diced
vanilla ice cream


 instructions 
Preheat oven to 180C/360F (fan forced function). Place rhubarb, strawberries and nectarines in a large bowl. Add sugar and orange zest. In a small bowl, mix orange juice (about 1/2 cup) with starch. Add the mix to the fruit. Toss the fruit and transfer to a medium ceramic baking dish.

Prepare topping. In another large bowl, mix floursugars and oatmeal. Add diced butter. Rub all the ingredients between your hands till all greased. Spread it on top of the fruit.

Place the dish into the hot oven for 1 hour, till juices bubble on top and the crisp is lightly brown. To add extra color, switch oven to "broil" for the last 5-10 minutes. Take it out of the oven, let it cool for about 15 minutes. Serve with ice cream.

NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES
  • ...or rhubarb-strawberry or rhubarb-nectarine but the three fruit together is my very favorite;
  • instead of orange, lemon zest and juice can be used;
  • as far as the type of flour, I've tried with regular, whole rye or whole spelt - all OK;
  • I added a lot less sugar (to the fruit) this time than Ina suggested; adding a couple of nectarines helped to balance the tartness of the dish;
  • this recipe has endless versions in my kitchen; the one described above is a classic (minus the nectarines plus the sugar) by Ina and it's very hard to beat but very easy to play with;
  • today, I'm making it with the full load of fruit and half the topping...sort of a Monday thing;
  • and I'm out of ice cream, but a scoop of mascarpone will do just fine.

16 comments:

  1. Another wonderful recipe to add to my rhubarb file!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All your delicious looking rhubarb recipes are making me want to make some rhubarb dishes! This looks delicious, my family loves anything with fruit so I'm sure this would be a hit :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The perfect dessert,honey!Looks scrumptious!
    Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what a marvelous crisp!!! My hubby does not appreciate ice cream with his desserts! Can you imagine? My crisp always has to have a scoop of vanilla :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This crisp looks incredible! Such pretty colors and sounds so good! I am loving all your rhubarb recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crisp and ice cream- a perfect combination of textures and flavors and a must have for this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a delicious fruity crisp Ela! The ice cream scoop makes it even more attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Three of my favorite fruits! And yes crisps are awesome. Easy to make and it feels less guilty than cake lol. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another beautiful rhubarb recipe, Ela. The crisp looks scrumptious, esp. when paired with ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love strawberries, I love this crisp look amazing with vanilla ice cream!:)♡

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree thank heavens for this invention, I love a good fruity crisp and yes ice cream is a must :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Ela, what a beautiful looking crisp you have made, this is my favorite type of dessert. Gorgeous pics!

    ReplyDelete
  13. All I can say is wow! Look at that beautiful casserole filled with strawberries and rhubarb! Yes on the ice cream - a perfect flavor combination with gorgeous photos. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sure would like to meet this crisp in a dark room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is just a divine combination Ela, my mouth is watering!

    ReplyDelete