May 23, 2014

Young potatoes with dill, yoghurt and egg


With the first hot days of the year, my childhood memories together with my appetite go back to this...







Young potatoes with dill, yoghurt and egg
by Gray Apron
time: 20 minutes

 ingredients 
20 young potatoes, preferably small and of the same size
1 Tablespoon (15 g) butter
handful fresh dill
3 - 4 eggs + butter to grease the skillet
1 - 2 cups yoghurt or buttermilk
coarse salt

 instructions 
Clean potatoes under running water with a hard brush, removing dirt and loose skin. Transfer them into a pot of boiling water and cook for about 15 - 20 min (depending on the size). Add salt  5 - 10 minutes before potatoes are ready. Drain water. Return bulbs to the pot, add butter and chopped dill. Roll potatoes in grease and herbs.

Smear skillet with butter. Cook eggs sunny side-up . Serve them on top of a plate of potatoes with a dash of coarse salt and cold yoghurt on the side. Smash all the ingredients with a fork.

NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES
  • I cook potatoes like I cook pasta: all dente (I detect some resistance when I insert a fork in the potato to check for doneness) and in lots of water;
  • potatoes continue to cook some minutes after you take them out of the cooking water;
  • here I used 8 cups of water and added 2 Tablespoons of coarse salt;
  • my Mom and her Mom were right: this simple dish (to make and to eat) will satisfy and cool many;
  • ...and I don't remember if we had any yoghurt growing up; the dish was served with a cup of buttermilk to drink straight up.

18 comments:

  1. oh, I want a taste and right now! I have potato salad waiting in the fridge for me to photograph :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love potatoes and dill together and adding the egg makes this a wonderful (but frugal) meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing, Ela. I've never seen anything like this combination. Kind of a reconstructed potato salad. My mouth is watering.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that reconstructed idea, Barbara. :)

      Delete
  4. I love this and the egg look awesome Ela:)))

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love dill and this breakfast just looks beautiful. Your pictures are always so lovely, Ela!

    This is the perfect morning delight.

    Toodles,
    Tammy<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess in the good old USA it would be considered breakfast. I forgot about it ... Here, it's a lunch idea. Thanks, Tommy. That's cute! :)

      Delete
    2. Here in Greece this would be a lunch idea as well!
      Love it! Amazing combination of flavors!
      Hugs,sweet Ela!

      Delete
  6. What a lovely combination! And such sweet memories of your childhood....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the combination of dill and potatoes - this looks wonderful Ela!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Potatoes and dill, just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That egg is cooked to perfection, Ela. A lovely meal.
    Have a beautiful weekend!
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea of doing young potatoes with egg and yogurt! This is ultimate summer comfort meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. DIll is in my top favorite herbs so i am obviously totally digging this. And the egg on top is perfect, poached could be fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Elzbieta, this is a breakfast I would be happy to sit down to; simply add a good cup of coffee. Blessings dear. Catherine xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. A delightful meal! I love everything about it.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG this looks soooo good! I can imagine the potatoes melting in my mouth and that egg on top is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great way to serve new potatoes! I'd love this any time of day.

    ReplyDelete