Mar 13, 2013

Avocado-chocolate mousse

I didn't feel like cake, muffins or cookies. Two squares of dark chocolate with my afternoon espresso - not again. I had two avocados getting just ripe. Mrs De Laurentiis gave me the idea to combine the two into a mousse. But the recipe came from me. I'm excited. Much to more fun to follow...me.
I used some of my chocolate ganache ingredients, combined it with avocados and a bit of mascarpone. I  melted, whipped, chilled. I put it into small glasses, topped it with a raspberry and ended up with this wonderfully refreshing dessert. Creamy, light, chocolaty, not too sweet. The avocado gave it a nice texture and volume, but not the taste. The little cup of heaven is a perfect after dinner dessert when you basically had enough but not quite enough.

Idea from Giada De Luarentiis

time: 15 min + 3hs cooling = 3hs 15min

ingredients
2 very ripe avocados
100 g (3.5 oz) dark chocolate (50% cocoa)
4 Tablespoons cocoa powder
200 ml (a bit more than 3/4 cup) sweet (whipping) cream
6 teaspoons home made vanilla sugar (or regular sugar + 1 teaspoon vanilla extract)
2 Tablespoons mascarpone
10 raspberries

directions

Place ice cubes in a mixing bowl of your mixer. Put it aside. You'll need a cold bowl later.

On very low heat, melt chocolate with cream, sugar and cocoa powder,  m
ixing it constantly, for about 5 minutes. Never allow it to boil.  Let it cool to room temperature.

In a food processor, blend the pulp of two avocados till all smooth and creamy. Add mascarpone, blend some more to combine.


Remove ice from the bowl. Transfer avocado cream and chocolate mix in the bowl and, using a whipping attachment, whip on high speed for about 5 minutes. The mousse should get a shade lighter.


Transfer mousse into small cups. Let it cool in the fridge for at least 3 hours. It will get firmer. Top each serving with a raspberry and serve.


No comments:

Post a Comment