Mar 18, 2013

Pizza romana

Pizza Romana: tomato sauce, anchovies fillets, mozzarella, oregano and olive oil. I bought a little jar of the salty fish, a good mozzarella and tomato sauce. Very easy, very good, very Italian. If you like anchovies. I find them, salty-yes, but also very delicate, creamy...and definitely exciting. Just a little taste and your pizza won't be plain anymore.

I don't cook pizza sauces anymore, I just use store bought tomato sauce ("passata di pomodoro"). The only requirement is that the sauce has to be made in Italy. I used exactly 700 ml (3 cups) of tomato sauce for my four pizzas (they were not all with anchovies, but the recipe is). Too little sauce, and pizzas come out too dry. Too much, and you don't know you're eating a pizza.


I was making pizzas the other evening for my girlfriends. Pizza Romana, I made it about 1 hour ahead of time and served it cold as an appetizer.


Recipe adapted from Giallo Zafferano

time: 30 min preparation + 1-2 hrs inactive + 15 min baking (per pizza) = 1-2hrs 45 min

ingredients

pizza dough*
700 ml (about 3 cups) thick tomato sauce
2 teaspoons dry oregano
16 anchovies fillets in oil
600 g (21 oz) fresh mozzarella
4 Tablespoons olive oil + more for topping
salt, pepper

directions

Preheat oven to 250C/500F. Prepare 4 baking sheets brushed with olive oil.
In a medium bowl, mix tomato sauce with oregano, olive oil, a couple of pinches of salt and pepper. Apply the sauce on pizza dough* rolled out in four round/squared pieces. Top it with anchovies fillets, mozzarella torn into big pieces, sprinkle it with olive oil. Place it in a hot oven for 12-15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment