Mar 29, 2013

Custard filling

I went to the source for this recipe. There are so many around, who knows what real custard should be like. Well, I don't know either but I know, that Julia knows.

Last time I made custard filling for a pie, it was way too thin. It took about 24 hours of cooling to look like I imagined it should. Not again. This time, I'm planning to use custard filling for my little Easter desserts. I didn't want any surprises, at least with custard.


I learned a couple of things from the Chef. You can decide how thick you want your filling by adjusting the amount of flour. But for now, this custard looks right to me. I'll be doing more adjusting in the future, when I know more what I'm doing.


The custard tastes great, like a rich pudding. Smooth and creamy. It's good without any flavoring, but I couldn't resist a touch of lemon zest.


Recipe adapted from Julia Child

time: 10 minutes

ingredients

5 egg yolks
1 cup (200 g) sugar
1/2 cup (70 g) flour
2 cups (480 ml) whole milk
1 Tablespoon (15 g) butter
zest from 1/2 lemon

directions

In a bowl of a standing mixer, using a whisk attachment, on medium/high speed, beat egg yolks, slowly adding sugar (2-3 minutes), scraping the bottom and the sides of the bowl when necessary. Beat in flour

In a medium saucepan, bring milk to boil.


Lower the speed of the mixer to low and start adding boiling milk to the egg mix, slowly, in a thin stream. 


Transfer the mix to a medium saucepan. Whisking constantly, bring it to boil on medium/high heat. You might have clumps forming, but they will disappear with good whisking. Lower the heat to medium/low and boil the filling for 2-3 minutes, whisking well. Don't let it burn and stick to the bottom of the pan. Take it of the heat, whisk in butter. Add lemon zest.  If you don't use custard immediately, sprinkle it with small pieces of soft butter to prevent film from forming on top.

Custard filling can be kept in the fridge for up to a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment