Jun 20, 2013

Cauliflower and carrots hot-day salad

Hot days are here. Windows are all open, not prolonged cooking or baking allowed. I don't know what to eat. Maybe nothing...or maybe something. Maybe a salad. No, not the raw, green, leafy type. I eat a raw, green, leafy salad only if prepared by somebody else. My girlfriends are the experts. Too much work and not enough...food.

I like to cook at least some of the ingredients in my salads. In Spring, all the veggies taste better, even cauliflower and carrots that I'm not crazy about can be a treat. It's now or never. Only minimal seasoning is required. And minimal cooking...to enjoy a refreshing, light lunch. Not a side dish. Done.

Recipe by me
time: 15 min

ingredients
  • 1 medium (spring) cauliflower
  • 5 medium (spring) carrots
  • 4 Tablespoons chopped green onions
  • 100 g (3.5 oz) feta cheese
  • 3 Tablespoons olive oil

instructions
  1. Prepare a large bowl with ice water. Divide cauliflower into bite-size flowerts, cut carrots a la julienne (I used my mandolin cutter). Boil a medium/large pot of salted water. Throw in cauliflower pieces and boil on high heat for 5 minutes. Remove pieces with a slotted spoon and place them in the ice water for 1 minute. Now throw carrot sticks into boiling water an cook on high heat for 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon and place them in the ice water for 1 minute (after removing cauliflower).
  2. Place cooked vegetables in a dish, spread feta cheese and green onions on top. Drizzle everything with olive oil. Serve at room temperature or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment