Jun 27, 2013

Scroccafusi w/whole spelt

I just quickly searched for some close translation of the name. It could be "molten rock or lava rock".
Not bad.
They do look like stones and they might fool you into thinking that they are hard as stones. But they are not. They are solid, but not hard, not tough. Instead, scroccafusi are delicate, simple and satisfying.

I thought when I looked through the oven window that I messed up. They looked the same after 20 minutes of heat. They didn't get round or puffed. It did look like I had rocks on the baking sheet. It could have been because I used spelt flour in the recipe. Or I didn't work the dough enough. Or because I started baking before breakfast...or my favorite morning show is taking a break for the summer.

All my worries were for nothing. Even though I had to put up with an inferior quality morning television where there was too much talking and smiling...the cookies worked out. I did bake them early in the day but I prepared them the day before. The cookie dough had no baking powder and was resting in the fridge overnight. I'm always a little more excited about baking without chemical agents. The world is full of fluff anyway.

Nice recipe, very popular in Italy, a tradition of Marche region (with the capital of Ancona).

Recipe adapted from Corriere della Sera
time: 20 min preparation + 6 hr inactive + 20 min baking
makes about 50 cookies

ingredients
  • 220 g (1 4/5 cup) spelt flour
  • 280 g (2 cups) regular flour
  • 150 g (3/4 cup) sugar
  • 150 g (10 Tablespoons) butter room temperature
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 pinch salt
powder sugar

instructions
  1. In a bowl of a standing mixer with a paddle attachment, mix together all the ingredients till well combined, about 5 minutes. Add a couple of drops of water if necessary (I added 1 teaspoon). Wrap cookie dough in a plastic wrap and let it rest in the fridge for at least 6 hours. 
  2. Take the dough out of the fridge 1/2 hour before you ready to bake.
  3. Preheat oven to 180C/355F (fan forced function). Prepare two baking sheets lined with parchment paper. 
  4. Tear off a piece of dough from the mass and, with your hands, make small balls (size of a small walnut). Place them on the baking sheets, spaced 1 inch (2-3 cm) apart. Bake until lightly colored. Take them out, let them cool and roll the rocks in powder sugar. Store in a cookie jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment