May 15, 2014

Young potato, tomato and cucumber salad with Dijon dressing and Spring herbs


No matter how big I make it, we fight over every piece till all gone.









Recipe by Gray Apron
time: 15 minutes + time to cook and cool potatoes 

ingredients
2 lbs (1 kg) young potatoes, cooked whole, salt added at the end of cooking, cut in cubes when cooled
3 medium tomatoes, cut in four wedges and sliced
5 small ground cucumbers, cut in four and sliced
1 cup chopped herbs (parsley, dill and green onion) loosely packed
dressing (originally by Martha Stewart)
2 Tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice
3 Tablespoons (45 ml) Dijon mustard or your other favorite 
4 Tablespoons (60 ml) olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

instructions
In a small bowl, whisk (with a fork or a small bubble whisk) together lemon and mustard. While still whisking, in a thin string, pour in olive oil. Add a pinch or two of salt and dash of pepper to your liking.

Place all the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl. Pour dressing on top. Mix it and serve.

NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES NOTES
  • I don't peel young potatoes before cooking but I scrub them with a hard brush: that takes dirt and thin skin off easily;
  • you can easily overcook young potatoes, they take about half as much time as the last year's variety;
  • pressure cooking them is not recommended...
  • it IS recommended to let them cool (1 hr should be enough) before cutting and adding to the salad; they get nice and firm;
  • about the dressing: whisking in oil at the end is a serious thing; if you just pour it all at once, you might have trouble making it all smooth;
  • this time, I was down to about 3 Tbs of mustard in the jar, so I just added the other two liquids, tied the jar with the lid, shook it well...came out all smooth and fine;
  • I'm not an expert on dressings, I usually just apply olive oil and balsamic on everything, but this one stuck in my head;
  • partially because it's easy to remember: 2, 3, 4Tbs...and because it's really good, especially with potatoes.

19 comments:

  1. Perfect! That dressing is lovely.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  2. The salad is perfect for the warm weather picnics. I would certainly help that salad disappear.Blessings, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors are beautiful and I bet this salad is so hearty and delicious, Ela!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love potato salads that aren't smothered in mayo! This looks absolutely delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Una perfecta ensalada muy deliciosa,colorida y buen dressing,abrazos

    ReplyDelete
  6. just beautiful salad Ela!

    ReplyDelete
  7. just beautiful salad Ela!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just in time for a warm weekend! Thank you for sharing and making my evening both brighter and more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fresh and beautiful! This would go perfectly with the quinoa bread I just made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my kind of meal; big bowl full of flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A nice healthy potato salad, Ela, rather than the bacon-laden one I made for my garden club luncheon last week!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the combination of potatoes with dijon mustard. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great summer potato salad, might be an inspiration for my bbq this weekend :-) Love how the potatoes make the salad creamier like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...especially when you use them when they are still warm...:)

      Delete
  14. I totally love how vegetable happy this salad is. Great way to use up our cucumbers too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic salad! Love everything about it!
    Kisses,sweet Ela!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a wonderful salad - perfect for all these summer picnics and bbq's - looks lovely Ela!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks so good, I would fight for it too. Remembering for my meatless Mondays!

    ReplyDelete