Oct 2, 2013

Cream of pumpkin soup

It's OK. I'm not a big fan of pumpkins. I'm not a big fan of soups. But I'm a big fan of easy, fast, light and seasonal meals with an Italian touch and doing something different on Wednesday afternoon.

Recipe adapted from Giallo Zafferano
time: 30 minutes

ingredients
1 kg (2 lbs) pumpkin pulp, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
1 celery stalk, chopped
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 l (4 cups) boiling water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
salt to taste
pepper to taste
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest

instructions

  1. In a large pot, heat olive oil on medium/high heat. Add onions, carrots, celery and saute for about 5 minutes. 
  2. Add pumpkin pieces with a couple of tablespoons of water, cover the pot with a lid and cook on low heat for about 10 minutes. 
  3. Add the rest of water and cook for another 10 minutes, covered. Add  spices and lemon zest. Blend it. Adjust seasoning and serve with toasted bread.


notes
  • every pumpkin is different, some might not need much seasoning at all
  • my pumpkin weighted 3 kg (6 lbs); size of a human head; I used half of it for soup
  • you can add less water to make it thicker, but not much less
  • I added about 1 teaspoon of salt
  • lemon zest was my idea

No comments:

Post a Comment