Jun 26, 2013

Almond super-easy-and-fast cookies

And super good, I should add. Did I mention "Italian"? I came across the recipe while looking for an idea for a cookie for breakfast for me. I had one in mind, but it required going out and getting flour. Afternoon came, and I still didn't have any flour. A very warm afternoon. I couldn't get myself into serious baking mood. But I was still very serious about my breakfast the next day. I had to find something.

My research led me to Corriere della Sera (Italian primary newspaper) recipe site. While the citizens might not trust their press, I gave it a shot. And even though the recipe had some room for guessing, it was simple and small enough to try. And it didn't ask for flour. 

The cookies came out fantastic! I made little balls and put them in the oven and had no idea I would see anything exciting.  They looked so...not like cookie dough. And then they got bigger, prettier and rounder.  I took them out, they were soft and light. They cooled and were still soft and light.  Morning after - the same. Just a subtle taste of sugar and a little crunch from almonds.
I've made the cookies twice in the past two days...I didn't eat them all by myself. I think the second time around, my little nephew beat me.
Recipe adapted from Corriere della Sera
time: 10 min preparation + 15 min baking
makes about 16 cookies

ingredients
  • 200 g (7 oz) whole almonds
  • 90 g (1/2 cup) sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon (2 g) baking powder
  • 1 egg
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 40 g (2 oz) almond flakes

instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 180C/355F (fan forced function). Line one baking sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Prepare one small bowl with 2 lightly whisked yolks (with a teaspoon of water) and another bowl with almond flakes.
  3. In a food processor with a steel blade, blend almonds with sugar and baking powder, till fine. Add 1 egg. Blend some more. Take the dough out onto a bowl and combine the ingredients more with your hand. 
  4. Using your hands, form small balls (size of a small walnut), press them gently between you fingers, dip them in egg yolks and then cover in almond flakes. Place balls on the parchment paper, spaced 2 inches (5 cm) apart. Bake for 15 minutes till lightly golden. Take them out, let them cool for a couple of minutes on the baking sheet and then transfer onto a cooling rack. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment