Jun 6, 2013

Rhubarb preserves

I just had some for breakfast. I just had a lot. I'm a big fan of my preserves. I can eat half a jar at one sitting. They are never too sweet. Always light and fresh. 

Like this rhubarb extravaganza that we adore. This morning, I sliced a piece of bread, I spread butter on it, I spooned rhubarb on top, I covered it with a piece of white cheese and I drizzled the whole thing with little honey. Hania puts it on everything, from cakes and cookies to bread and ice cream. It brings a smooth and moist texture and a taste kick to anything that needs it. 

How tart is a personal thing. We like it rather tart. I can always dab it with honey if I need it sweeter. Besides sugar, I added two oranges, zest and juice, one lemon, zest and juice, and cinnamon. Exciting and pleasant combination.


As far as pasteurizing, it seems that everybody has his/her own way. Over the years, I've read hundreds of opinions and comments on how to do it. I'm very scared of bacterias. But just using common sense should do. The empty jars and lids have to be sterilized. Everything has to be cooked for about 30 minutes. And then when you see (by pressing on it) the lid popped down, you've done it. Do jars have to be immersed in water, when do I close the lids, do I flip jars when done...I've tried doing different ways and it never seemed to matter. 


And the whole idea started when I was talking to my sister and crying about rhubarb season coming to an end. No worry, I caught it in a jar.

Recipe by me
time: 1 hour
makes about 2 l (8 cups)

ingredients

  • 2 kg (4 lbs) rhubarb
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 small oranges, grated zest and juice
  • 1 medium lemon, grated zest and juice
  • 1teaspoon cinnamon
instructions
  1. Sterilize the jars and lids. In a large pot of water (lined with a cotton cloth), cook jars and lids on medium heat for 20 minutes. Remove them, let them dry. Whip the tops of jars and lids dry. 
  2. Chop rhubarb in 1-2 inch (2-5 cm) pieces. I like to cut it diagonally. 
  3. In a large pot set on medium/high, place rhubarb, zests and juices, sugar and cinnamon. Cook and stir (it sticks to the bottom fast) for 15 minutes, till most of the pieces fall apart. Take it off the heat, adjust seasoning.
  4. Fill jars with cooked (hot) rhubarb up to an inch (2.5 cm) from the top edge, keeping the sides of a jar clean. Whip it clean with a damp paper towel if you make a mess. Tie the lids loosely. Place jars in a large pot of water (lined with a cotton cloth), up to 3/4 jar's height. Leave a lid an a pot slightly ajar. Bring water to boil and cook for 30 minutes on medium/low heat. Remove one jar at a time and tie the lid well. Put it back in the pot with hot water (cover with a lid) and let the jars sit till water cools, about 2 hours. During that time, the lids on jars should pop down. If they don't, put one jar in the fridge and freeze the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment